Sample photos from Sigma 100-400

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JulesH Forum Member • Posts: 51
Sample photos from Sigma 100-400

Since I do not want to hijack Lokatz's thread, i am posting some photos taken yesterday with my new Sigma 100-400.  I am still deciding whether or not to keep it. This is the first time I have used it.

I have been doing photography under 5 years, so i don't have the experience, knowledge, and jargon that most of the posters here have, so understand that now.

I have a new to me Nikon D7200 and a new D750.  I got this lens to use on the 7200 for the additional reach.  I live in FL,  birds are always around, and I travel a lot, so there is other nature too.  I am small, short, and older,  while I lust after the 200-500, it is not really practical for me at this point.

I bought this lens as it was a bit lighter than the Tamron, and a bit less expensive.  I updated the firmware with the Sigma dock, but have not fine-tuned any of the settings with the dock. OS was switched on and it was set 6m-infinity.  I kept the camera on shutter mode, continuous low, focus priority, and AF-C 9.  I think ISO was on auto, with a max of 6400.  About 10 out of 200 were usable I think.

I went out on a pontoon boat yesterday with the local camera club, on a nearby creek with several large rookeries.  I handheld the camera as did most of the club members, although not all. I was about 30 feet from shore, and about 30 feet in height from the birds. I did not PP these photos much, just some cropping and adjusting shadows and blacks, etc. with LR.

f/6.3, 1/1000. ISO 1400, 400mm

f/6.3, 1/100. ISO 640, mm165

f/5,6. 1/800, ISO 640, 100mm

So give me some feedback on whether this lens is worth keeping.  For myself, I may end up using on a tripod or monopod.  It was heavy and shaky for me to hold.

Thanks.

JulesH's gear list:JulesH's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +8 more
Nikon D7200 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow