6D/6D2 two body filename workflow

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AdrianVos New Member • Posts: 15
6D/6D2 two body filename workflow

Hi All,

For several years I have used a 6D as a travel camera. I have a few nice lenses (16-35 F4, 24-70 F4, 70-200 F2.8), and have been really happy with the photos. I have previously shared the camera with my wife, and changed lenses as required which can be a bit of a hassle, so I decided to get a new camera body in a 6DII. So now the plan is for one body to have the 24-70 permanently, and the other will swap between 16-35 and 70-200 and we will both use both cameras depending on what is going on.

So this brings up the issue of filenames as both cameras could potentially use the same filename on the same day. Also, I was hoping there would be a way to quickly see which camera had taken a photo by looking at the filename without having to go into the metadata to work it out. So I did a bit of research, and it appears neither of the 6D versions can change the IMG_ filename prefix. If this can be done, can someone let me know?  It seems like such a simple feature that would provide great value, and I hope they do offer this.

Typically when I travel, I carry just one SD card for a camera body. I also have a WD mypassport wireless which enables me to insert and SD card and it will take a backup of the SD card. I do this every evening for all SD cards. I also carry a laptop and another portable drive, and whenever I am getting low on SD card space, I backup to the mypassport then do a backup to the other HD with the laptop and reformat the card to start again. This way I have incremental backups on the mypassport and full card backups on the other HD.

Then when I get home from travel I just import all photos from the HD which has full backups of every SD prior to formatting. I use lightroom to import and manage files.

Given all the above, can anyone suggest a good workflow that allows me to view all photos from both cameras on a common timeline but still identify which camera took the photo? Current thinking is to use lightroom import to change filenames on import and possibly put seperate subfolders for each camera. Typically I use a folder structure with year\MM-DD with the single body. So I could maybe put another subfolder underneath for the body used. I'm not sure if lightroom can automatically work this out and import all photos at one time or I may have to manually import each SD card to the correct foler?

Of course if I could change the filename on the camera body I could just keep doing what I have been doing and the filename would sort everything out.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow