Nikkor 135 mm 1:2 AI

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
rapick
OP rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,020
Re: Nikkor 135 mm 1:2 AI

brodgar wrote:

I congratulate you on some nice pics with a fairly rare lens.

Thanks! Yes, it is a bit rare: less than 8,000 manufactured (1977-1981) according to photosynthesis.co.nz.

I had this lens ages ago and used it a bit on my D300 and it taught me a lot.

I bought mine (used) in 2007 for use in 'stage photography' with my D200.

It was absolutely impossible to focus at f2. DoF is very very small and my hands shake.

Yes, DoF at minimum focus distance (1.3 m) is around 1 cm. Too thin.

So stop down, but why buy an F2 lens and stop it down?? I was looking for the equivalent of a 200 F2 AIS and realized that I could not use it.

I didn't try it a lot at f/2.0, but got some not-so-bad stage portraits at f/2.8, like this one:

Actress Lucilla Giagnoni on stage at Teatro Galilei - Romanengo (2010) - Nikon D200 + Nikkor 135/2 AI @ f/2.8

A glorious and heavy chunk of glass that might work with the modern focus peaking tools on Fuji/Sony cameras but I was happy to trade it in.

After switching to D700, I found focusing much easier (with respect to D200). Aid by the enhanced 'electronic rangefinder' and viewing through the much better viewfinder make MF much easier. Glad I still have it (not heavier, and a bit smaller than my 24-120 f/4).

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Sony RX100 III Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow