Has anyone put together a rig with an 8 core i7-7820x CPU on an..

Started May 9, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ormdig
ormdig Senior Member • Posts: 2,581
Has anyone put together a rig with an 8 core i7-7820x CPU on an..

Asus Prime x299-A or similar motherboard? My current rig is 7 years old and although still plenty powerful is showing signs of cracks in the foundation. I had it made by Digital Storm (hence the username Ormdig, I knew nothing about usernames when I signed on to DPR) and it has proven to be well able to handle large files and heavy processing so am thinking of getting a new one from them.

I am mainly interested in processing power and data transfer speeds. My preliminary choices are these 2 for a starting point as they seem to off the processing power and multiple options for storage and data transfer. I currently use 1 internal SSD, 5 internal HDDs and 2 external HDDs with 24 GBs of RAM.

I am curious about the different ways you folks use the NMVe PCIE, M.2 and SATA 6 not to mention all the different USB options available, even Thunderbolt. Where do the large RAM offerings come into the equation or do these new interfaces make it obsolete? I import and transfer 6-10 GB folders all the time and processing multiple 40-50MB files is common for me so I am interested in how these new tools available work in the real world. Thanks in advance,

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow