Sigma 150-600 Contemporary and Canon 2x Mk III Extender (APS-C)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nbklaw
nbklaw Regular Member • Posts: 169
Sigma 150-600 Contemporary and Canon 2x Mk III Extender (APS-C)

I recently got a hold of the Canon 2x Extender Version III. I primarily got it to pair with a Canon 70-200 f2.8 MkII to take it up to 400 mm, but I was interested in seeing how it worked with the Sigma. The following 2 images were taken on a tripod, about 50 yards out from an Osprey at rest in full sunlight. The first is at 600mm with the lens only, and the second is from the same spot with the 2x extender attached. Focus is only available in Live View mode with the extender, but works pretty well. The lens reports back an aperture of f/13 fully open at full zoom. Handheld use is probably not possible at 1200mm, i.e. 600mm full zoom of the lens alone and 2x additional from the extender. I thought I had read that this particular combination won't work at all. The 1200mm image won't win the "No. 1 Tack-Sharp Picture of the Year" award, but it is perfectly usable. This is on a APS-C size Canon 77D body, with a little bit of Lightroom processing to taste, and with no cropping.

Sigma 150-600C, 600mm, about 50 yards away; Canon 77D (APS-C)

Sigma 150-600C, 1200mm (lens plus Canon 2x MkIII Extender) about 50 yards away; Canon 77D (APS-C)

nbklaw's gear list:nbklaw's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 77D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +9 more
Canon EOS 77D / EOS 9000D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow