5D4 and night walks

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
irm Senior Member • Posts: 2,953
5D4 and night walks

I took my 5D4 on 3 night walks around Breaside Park (Melbourne AU).

The first one was with the 135f2 and the TC 1.4 mkIII. I planned on using live view in the lowlight shots. That didn't work put the issue down to new camera and inexperience. Used a high power bicycle headlight to illuminate the subjects. Using AI servo.

Thes second walk was using the 100-400 mkII and a tripod so I could hold the camera steady while using live view. That didn't work. Used a high power bicycle headlight to illuminate the subjects. Using AI servo.

Third walk was the 5D$, the 100-400 mkII and a video flood light and live view again another failure. This was setup for singe shot.

Each time I had to revert to the EVF to get focus. I have since experimented at home during the day with heavily overcast sky, the 100-400 mkII and live view. Every time live view continually hunted for focus where as using the EVF focus would snap in.

Do not get me wrong the final shots even at 25600 are excellent, you can quite plainly see the whiskers on the tawny frogmouth owl using small focused torches and red light torches.

I have tried to include a photo from walk 2, but my formatting is playing up, not just this site.

at long last.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong. I have changed focus point selection.

-- hide signature --

my 2 exposed flashcubes worth.
Ian the pbase supporter.
http://pbase.com/ianm_au
Please check my profile for equipment list.
An amateur with dreams of being a good to excellent photographer.

irm's gear list:irm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow