Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Discussions thread
MizBrown
MizBrown Regular Member • Posts: 469
Re: X100F Test 1 - Pike Place Market

I've taken most photos on the street both in Nicaragua (where I live and don't take pictures of the riot police right now) and Mexico City with either a a6000 and the Sony/Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 (a brilliant APSC lens) or an a7 and a 35mm Sony/Zeiss f/2.8.  This is especially the way to go when traveling with people who aren't photographers on something that isn't a photographic mission.

For tiny shop interiors here, I use an 18mm Batis f/2,8 and found the 35mm too wide.

If I were just doing a photographic trip, I'd bring three lenses: 18mm, 35mm, and 55mm.  Or those and an adapted 105mm Nikkor f/2.5.

Distorting someone else's experience by dragging around a lot of lenses and gear makes things less fun.  If this was a woman photographer on a romantic trip with a non-photographer, would anyone give the advice to just do the photography full out and let the romantic partner get used to it.

Other option would be the 24-105mm zoom, but there's something to be said for just having one prime and the pictures can be fantastic.  Advantage of primes is that they're somewhat less conspicuous for snatch and run thieves.

I like the a6000 for street work because it's a less conspicuous camera, but I've had one camera buff explain that he had a better camera than mine -- Canon with a zoom lens instead of a Sony a7 with a Zeiss Batis 18mm non-zoom.   I'm happy that my gear isn't Canon or Nikon which thieves world wide know about.

MizBrown's gear list:MizBrown's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony a6000 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow