Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Discussions thread
Bruce Oudekerk
Bruce Oudekerk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,599
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

The correct focal length always depends on what you will be shooting and how you choose to shoot it.  In Alaska I used 'longer' frequently but not so much in urban or conventional scenic settings.

We got back from Prague, Krakow etc. less than two weeks ago and EVERYTHING was shot with the FE16-35 ZA f4.0 or FE24-105G f4.0... both great lenses. If push came to shove and I could only have had have one, I suppose it would be the 16-35. A few years ago that would have surprised me.

Like the OP, I only wanted to carry one lens all day and I typically started out having a rough inkling of which lens would be better for that day's excursion. A boat trip or shots from atop Prague's Old Town Hall = 24-105... but walking in narrow streets or cathedral interiors = 16-35. Most of the time I got it right:)

The realities are that you are not going to get THE perfect answer unless you are willing to carry more than one lens... but life is a compromise.

Bruce

Bruce Oudekerk's gear list:Bruce Oudekerk's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow