Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Discussions thread
sullivanrp
OP sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 54
X100F Test 1 - Pike Place Market

It took me a little bit to figure out the best button layout and settings with the X100F, also learning what does what. I will say that it was fun to shoot with a small camera, and people didn't give me the same looks, both in shyness or anger or curiosity, as when I use my Sony with a 35 1.4. That being said...

You can't separate the shutter button half press for focusing (i.e. no backbutton af). I've been using BB-AF for 5+years now, so that's a problem for me. I can throw it into manual mode and use the AEL button, but then I don't have the same AF point control.

The interface is a little sluggish to get through and find everything, coming from both Canon and Sony (the a7r III, mind you, not an earlier model) this could be the worst of those 3 systems I've used in terms of menu interface for me.

AF performance was good. No problems there. IQ is great, albeit I didn't shoot a lot of stuff wide-open, and didn't try too many cityscapes/landscapes. I see how people fall in love with this camera, but I am not sure I'd spend the money on it over a 28 f/2 for my sony for a trip. The 35 2.8 on a a7 is pretty darn close in size too, after holding both.

I did bring my Sony 35mm 1.4 and A7R III with me, in a shoulder bag, on this photowalk, to get a sense of weight and feel for travel. I definitely could see that size combination, in addition to any more lenses, being annoying after a couple hours. Realistically while traveling, though, I'd guess you are stopping/sitting throughout the day breaking up the load, and carrying the camera more than having it in the bag, ideally.

Anyhow, for those interested, here are some snaps from today:

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow