So many, many Epson nozzle clog threads

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,212
So many, many Epson nozzle clog threads

In this DPReview forum alone there are numerous threads about Epson printers clogging or having nozzle problems. It's also true within other photography forums. So many, many threads about Epson nozzle and clogging problems. It makes one wonder what the root problem is and why it hasn't been solved.

I've owned two HP Z3100 large-format printers and currently own a Canon ImagePROGRAF PRO-4000 large-format printer. I've never had a clog problem with any of them. Ever.

I also currently own an Epson 3880 and have never had it clog since I purchased it new about four years ago (unless I've just jinxed it). Thus, I am in no way trolling Epson. In fact, the company's proprietary piezoelectric inkjet technology — an outgrowth of parent company Seiko Epson's piezo quartz wristwatch technology — is more advanced than the bubble thermal technology employed by every other printer maker. (Hence Canon's former branding as "BubbleJet.") And that's thermal, as in heating the ink and the ink delivery system to create a bubble that "pushes" the ink onto the page.

So, what's wrong with Epson, or is the prevalence of its problems merely a reflection of its vast market-share lead?

DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow