Sigma Lens Quality

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,761
Sigma Lens Quality

I have been trying to get a decent quality Standard Zoom for my D5600 something a bit wider and faster than the 18-55 AF-P Kit lens. I started with the Nikon 16-85mm Lens but I think that was Ok when camera sensors were 6-12 MPX but on the D5600 you can see that's it's resolution powers are wanting badly if you look into the detail of your photos.

I bought a Sigma 17-50 mm f 2.8, I really wanted to like that lens as being a fixed f2.8 lens it would be perfect but the copy I had was hopelessly flawed the lens was out of alignment and nothing seemed in focus. That has gone back for a refund. Today I received a Sigma 17-70 f 2.8-4 which I bought pretty cheap new for $359, it is a C plated lens which I have read is suppose to me better quality control and build.

One quick use of this lens really disappointed me, the borders at 17 mm never look in focus no matter how you try, stepped down to f8 still the borders were soft and out of focus. I quickly packed the Lens up and that one goes back to the camera shop tomorrow.

This whole experience with trying to get a decent standard zoom lens has left me shaking my head on how Sigma can sell these faulty lenses , the quality control is either lacking and apparently no testing is done before the lenses are sent out never gain will I venture looking into buying Sigma lenses.

The cheap little Kit lens that came with my D5600 is far far sharper than lenses I have tried on the camera, in fact I think that and my Nikon 35mm DX is all I will use for now on.

Just a couple of photos taken quickly today showing the sharpness or lack of it with the Sigma 17-70 and the sharp little kit lens by Nikon. The blurry borders are the Sigma Lens.

rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D750 Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +7 more
Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon D5600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow