Canon Full Frame & APS-C Wide Angle lens?

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Discussions thread
caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,585
My advice

tznp wrote:

Hi,

I currently have a 100D which is an APS-C body. I think I will upgrade this in a year or when I feel it is needed to a full frame (like 5D Mark III or something like that) and now I am looking for a wide angle lens which suit both body types. Is there anything like that?

What I have found so far is even good for APS-C or Full Frame but could not really find anything which is perfect for both.

The budget would be around 800-900 USD.

What would you recommend?

Get a used 10-22 or 10-18 IS. You are better off with this. Just get a 16-35 f4L IS or something like it when  you finally move to your 5d3. Getting a 35FF 12mm or 14mm or a 15-30 or something like that is going to cost you a lot. And you might find that option, if only to satisfy a wide with aps-c suddenly TOO WIDE once you move to 35FF. And the cost! Unless you know you can use 12mm or 14mm or later on, it is still saner, and easier to just get the proper aps-c lens now. Then you worry about your wide when you move to 35FF. Trust me, 16mm is wide in 35FF! That is what 10mm is in canon aps-c!

If you sell your 100d, just sell your aps-c lens. Even at a slight loss, you are still better off this route. Just think of your loss as your monthly rental fee to the lens.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow