FYI: Another case of A7 III eye-AF issue

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jameszhan
jameszhan Contributing Member • Posts: 596
FYI: Another case of A7 III eye-AF issue

A while ago, ATLshooter had 3 huge threads about eye-AF failure on two copies of A7 III. I thought I should be okay because only 8 people were reporting the same problem in this forum.

I was wrong. My copy (serial number 3379xxx) of A7 III has the exact same issue.

I didn't do any controlled scientific testing; I didn't need to because I used the same lens, 85mm f1.4 GM, on two copies of A7 III (one mine, one in-store on display shelf), and mine was clearly front-focusing while the other was not.

I'm exchanging my copy tomorrow. I'm making this thread just to raise some awareness because I suspect the problem may be more widespread than we thought.

Please go test out your A7 III's eye-AF with a fast lens before the exchange/return period expires.

No need to debate whether it's user error or not as it is already been argued to death in ATLshooter's threads. And in my opinion, it is quite clear cut that this is not user error.

My copy

Cropped to show it's out of focus

The copy on the shelf in store

Cropped to show the tack sharp focus

Note that this two shots are not the only ones I took. I was using my 24-70 GM at f2.8 and I already noticed a bit of softness at the eye with eye-AF, which was why I went into the store today and tested it with a f1.4 lens.

I would like to thank ATLshooter for raising awareness of it. I don't think I would go in store to get a f1.4 lens to test if I didn't know this problem could exist in some copies of the camera. I currently don't have the budget to buy another lens, and if I found out about the problem when I saved up enough to buy a fast prime, it would most likely be too late for me to exchange.

jameszhan's gear list:jameszhan's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 28mm F2 Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art
Sony a7 Sony a7 III Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow