Vivitar 19/3.8 Information

Started Apr 21, 2018 | Discussions thread
Alan WF
OP Alan WF Veteran Member • Posts: 3,459
Re: Vivitar 19/3.8 Serial Numbers

That said, I've seen no lenses for Canon EF mount, which was introduced in 1987. The flange focal distance for EF is less than that of Nikon F and Pentax K, so I'd guess the lens could have been made to be compatible. If this lens was being sold in the late 1980s and early 1990s, why was there no EF mount version? Perhaps EF was seen as a high-end mount and not a suitable target for cheap lenses like this? Has anyone seen an EF version of this lens?

I wouldn't expect one: this isn't an autofocus lens and nearly all EF lenses autofocus. Not all Minolta AF lenses autofocus, but most do, so that would be credible too.

No, I'm not expecting an AF version in Minolta A mount or Canon EF mount, but rather an MF version for these new mounts. That there apparently were none might suggest that this lens died out shortly after it was introduced. Or maybe Vivitar were unable or unwilling to engineer their older MF lenses for these new mounts.

On the other hand, maybe people adapted Nikon F-mount lenses to Minolta A or Canon EF. It's certainly possible, but I don't know if it actually was a common option back in the late 1980s.

Regards,

Alan

Alan WF's gear list:Alan WF's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow