Mac Users: moving photo library from Mac to external hard drive

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kev777zero
kev777zero Senior Member • Posts: 1,721
Mac Users: moving photo library from Mac to external hard drive

So...I've been trying to move my photos from the photo library from mac to an external hard drive...the problem is this: I have 150GB of photos in the library, and the Mac only stored 40GB of it, the rest being in ICloud, although all the photos are available on the Mac and will just pull out the photo when I click into it.

Now when I transfer the photo library from Mac to external HD, only the photos that are on the Mac are transferred, not the ones in ICloud. I have the option to make the photo library on the external HD into "systems photo library", which I can only assign one photo library at a time. This will link the photo library to ICloud, and suppose to sync the photos together.

What I am afraid is if once I sync external HD photo library to ICloud, would the library be downloading photos from my ICloud, or would the HD's photo library end up syncing into my ICloud and clear up the 150GB of photos I had originally on there?

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow