Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Discussions thread
SafariBob
SafariBob Contributing Member • Posts: 632
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

sullivanrp wrote:

Heading to Prague, Budapest, Vienna this summer .

Gear I have:

A7R III | 16-35mm f4 | Rokinon 35mm 1.4 | FE 85mm 1.8 | Pre-ordered tamron 28-75

My thoughts so far: Pretty much ruled out the 85mm because its too niche and would only likely be used for portraits or scenic views, aka carrying dead weight around. The 35 1.4 can achieve the portraits I'd want while still being a friendly street photography/normal field of view walk around. Love the 1.4 look. The 16-35 would basically take all the interior/architecture shots any place we visit. 28-75 general use for anything really, compromises on wide end, but decently light and covers a lot.

I think the 16-35 + 28-75 is good for daytime, and the 1.4 good for evening, if bringing the camera. Personally I have the 24-105 on order. But considering swapping my 16-35 for a 10-18.

Any tips/advice from someone who has been to these cities or travels a lot given my options?

My main advice is to get most of the photography done in Prague, it’s a lot prettier than the two other cities. In Budapest I would mainly recommend the spas and the ruin bars. Try to get outside the cities too if you can, take the train and make a stop or rent a car and drop by some villages.

A Fuji x100 is on my mind as well just to say screw it, don't carry multiple lenses, and have a pocketable camera.

i have set my eyes on an rx1 for the same purpose, but would be intrigued to hear your experiences with the 35 1.4.

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

Very slow internet here, but will check that one out!

SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow