A7iii (Sony mirrorless in general) artifacts in EVF

Started Apr 28, 2018 | Discussions thread
techjedi
techjedi Senior Member • Posts: 3,579
Re: A7iii (Sony mirrorless in general) artifacts in EVF

Ken Ross wrote:

I've noticed this when shooting stills with my A7iii and prior A7Rii. The EVF shows artifacts that are not present when shooting video. The image in the EVF is clean and artifact-free in video mode, but when switching to stills mode, artifacts show up as rainbows around fine detail or edges on certain objects. This isn't related to zebras or any focus/exposure assist.

I have a GH5 and I don't see this same issue with it. I've always wondered why this is.

My theory here is that in video mode, the camera is previewing at the shutter speed of the video which is usually 1/50 or 1/60 in default modes. This is usually "slow enough" that the sensor gain does not need to be greatly increased to show you a normal exposure.

However, in stills mode, the EVF in Display Quality=High is 120hz, or updating at 120 times per second. Lets say that roughly 1/120. So there is half as much light captured to "preview" in the EVF/LCD, so more gain is applied on the sensor to make it visible and thus more noise artifacts are visible.

To test this theory, can you reduce the Display Quality to Standard and see if the difference between video is as pronounced?

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony RX100 Sony a6500 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow