Tamron 150-600 sample variation

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Karl Persson Regular Member • Posts: 195
Tamron 150-600 sample variation

I have the original version and have been very satisfied with how it performs. According to numerous tests and user experiences it shouldn´t be as good as my sample actually is; when it nails focus (and occasionally it doesn´t) it is as sharp at f/6,3 as at f/8 - and I mean really sharp, even at 600 mm.

However, I have been lusting for the G2 version, since - according to tests and input from many users - it is clearly better: higher resolution, snappier AF, better stabilisation.

So I bought it.

After having tested it I can clearly say that it is not as good as my old lens. I have mainly tested at 600 mm, since that is the main reason for me to have such a lens.

AF, yes a little faster focus acquisition. But it is more inconsistant than the old one, and what good is the "snap" if it is less sharp....

I use BBF and with the old lens VC is fully engaged when hitting the back button, with the new lens it seems that VC is not fully engaged until you half-press the shutter button. Though when fully engaged VC seems more stable than on the old lens, but the behaviour gives a strange experience in the VF.

To sum it up: sample variation is real and everyone should be aware that it may take some testing of several samples to find a really good one. I´m sure I could find a sample that behaves better, but I´m not sure I could find one that is superior to my G1.

Since I have the option to do so, I will return the G2 and stick to my old lens (warts and all - it does suck in some dust to the internals but so far with no detriment to performance).

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow