W10: “shut down” isn’t really “shut down”

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
afterburn Senior Member • Posts: 1,033
Re: W10: “shut down” isn’t really “shut down”

fotografffic wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

During the discussion of Meltdown and Spectre it was suggested that a hard reboot might be safer.

Yes, Meltdown/Spectre are the reasons for my original post. After reading the article I referenced, I disabled fast start up. It takes my computer 5 seconds to fully start up. I can live with that. I have a SSD drive.

My Haswell-E/X99 system takes longer to POST than that, but after the POST sequence it takes literally less than 2 seconds to have the desktop ready for work with fastboot enabled. Patches for these are stable and have no performance impact (on my system) so why even think about it? There are other risks in all operating systems that are far easier to exploit than Spectre and Meltdown. If you want a safe system, don't start niggling about nonsensical things like fastboot but pull the network cable out instead. And keep it out. The only way to keep your system safe is to have it not connected to any network, particularly the internet, and then hope you don't get a burglar that takes it. Every connected computer is always at risk. Install your security patches, keep your virusscanner running and up-to-date, don't run software from unknown/unverified sources and don't click every link you get sent in your email or from your facebook 'friends'. You'll be fine and your computer will be fine. Don't waste your time on stupid things like this.

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow