Thinking about moving from APS-C to MFT

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rush77 New Member • Posts: 10
Thinking about moving from APS-C to MFT

I'm an amateur photographer willing to learn and improve.

My journey began with a Casio EXP-600 when DSLRs where too expensive for me. It was a good starting point for me and sparkled my interest in photography.

Years later I bougth a Canon 40D with a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and a Sigma 70-200 2.8

I was mostly interested in photographing motorsports, travels and landscapes. I had fun with this camera and lenses.

They suited my needs really well. The only thing I missing was taking it to mountain hikes, it was too heavy and unconfortable for me. I like to hike light, so I stayed with the Casio.

I took photography courses and became more interested in learn about photography and improve my "art". So I decided it was time to upgrade my kit and bought a 70D, Tokina 11-20 and Tamron 24-70. I kept de Sigma.

Somehow I never really liked the 70D not I enjoyed shooting with it as much as enjoyed with the 40D. I think it's a good camera, but I think it's not at the same level as de 40D. It's like if the 70D is les "pro" than the 40D

Another thing I think it makes photography less enjoyable for me is the weight of my kit. I usualy take the 11-20 and the 24-70 with me, and only take the 70-200 when I think I will really need. But I find sometimes I'm lazy to take the camera with me.

At first I thought about going FF with the A7iii that's getting so much attention lately, but then I realized that this route will be expensive if I want to get quality glass, and that it'll be as heavier as the Canon kit I own. The only benefit I see is improved image quality.

An then I meet a photographer that uses Olympus and he was really pleased with the system, so I investigated about this system and I think it could be what I'm searching for: light, enjoyable, at with good IQ for my needs.

My interests in photography now are really wide: sports, lightpainting, macro, portrait... I know no system fits it all, but I think Olympus will be a good compromise.

So I'd like to hear opinions of people who made this move. And I'd like to know wich camera you'll recomend for sports. For now I'm thinking the camera it suits me is the M1 mark ii.

Thanks and I apologize for my english.

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow