Taking picture with more depth of field

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bo_120 New Member • Posts: 7
Taking picture with more depth of field

I'm fairly new to photography, and since I got a samsung nx500 with the 16-50PZ lens, I've been practicing taking photos for about 2 months now. One of the things that I've been trying to get better on out in the field is to get images with the depth of field that I want in my photography.

A challenge that I'm having is taking pictures of small subjects while keeping a good part of the background also in reasonable focus. For example, I took a picture of this flower on the ground.

I'm fairly satisfied with how it turned out, except I had wanted some of those flowers in the background to be in a bit more focus than they are in the picture. I took the picture at 18mm instead of longer focal length because I prefer pictures with a wider field of view. This means, though, that I have to get closer to the subject. The flower is only about 2-3 inches tall, and I found that closer distance to subject means background more blurred out.

So I read that the field of view is dependent on both focal distance and aperture. I tried a range of apertures from f/6.3 to f/9, and depth of field did seem to get wider but not substantial. So I tried to focus a bit beyond the flower, but then I noticed the sharpness of the flower in front becomes lesser than I wanted it to be.

So do any of you have any suggestions on taking pictures of small subjects while also keeping a good part of the background also in reasonable focus? I'm not sure what to try next.

Bo_120's gear list:Bo_120's gear list
Samsung 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 power zoom +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Samsung NX500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow