MFT going forward

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Simon97
Simon97 Senior Member • Posts: 2,727
MFT going forward

Now that I have joined the MFT universe, I wonder what people's thoughts are on the system in the shrinking and competitive camera market. Nikon will probably announce something mirrorless this year, Canon claims to be taking mirrorless more seriously. This new competition will likely pull away new customers from the MFT system.

To me, the main attraction is the the size of the cameras and lenses. There always will be people looking for that. It is a good entry point for someone wanting to upgrade from the phone camera or point and shoot. Much of the higher end glass for MFT is priced lower than the Canon/Nikon glass with the same field of view (at least the telephotos).

The biggest problem to me is the cost of the "bread and butter" lenses. For example, Canon has the 24, 40, 50mm STM and the 55-250mm zoom STM, all with great performance and very reasonable prices. MFT options are too costly. OTOH, Canon's EF-M lenses have been lackluster so far.

My motivation into MFT was Nikon's apparent discontinuation of it's N1 system. It was a good fit for me but it seems all but dead. Nikon loved crippling the system. They marketed it towards the point and shoot upgrader, but forgot that advanced users may like the system. Why does the camera play lame duck when you want to use manual lenses? (No focus or exposure assist) Come on Nikon, it's just software.

What is your opinion?

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow