Lightroom/Photoshop CC worth it for an amateur/hobbyist?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bkjones88
bkjones88 Regular Member • Posts: 150
Lightroom/Photoshop CC worth it for an amateur/hobbyist?

I'm an amateur photographer, really just doing this as a hobby. I had an old Minolta film camera as a kid, and recently (4-5 months ago) decided to get back into it. I bought a Nikon DSLR kit that came with a Corel suite, including their Lightroom competitor, Aftershot. I shoot in RAW and enjoy post processing, and I've gotten some results from AS that I've been quite pleased with.

The other day, though, I decided to try out LR CC as a trial. I was pretty blown away with just how good it was. I was not only editing faster, but also getting better results by and large compared to AS. This was particularly true for more difficult shots. For instance I've found no good way to recover even moderately blown out highlights in AS without completely losing the shadows and turning the rest of the image dark. For several photos, the colors just came out more pleasing with LR despite my best efforts in AS to replicate it. It also didn't hurt that LR didn't hang up or freeze once, as AS somewhat frequently does for me.

So I'm thinking about making the switch. As you can probably tell, my mind is already somewhat made up, but I wanted to get some thoughts from you all. Is the CC suite worth it for an amateur hobbyist? $10/month really isn't much at all for LR and PS, but it will add up over time. If it was a month to month deal, I would have already jumped on it. But the year long contract gives me pause.

Open to any and all opinions! Including alternative suggestions.

bkjones88's gear list:bkjones88's gear list
Nikon D3400 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow