Fuji 90mm weird AF behavior question

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 3,020
Fuji 90mm weird AF behavior question

I went to take a look at this lens at my local store today and I had a really weird AF experience with the 90mm. I was taking photos of random objects, nothing low light stuff, just normal indoor shooting conditions like the sample below.

As soon as I popped the lens on my XH1 immediately I noticed that the lens would hunt a little, it would go back then forward, and it would not lock focus on clear objects like the sign below. A few times I would get a message in red saying "No AF" or something like that, I can't exactly remember what it said

But then after approximately close to one minute the lens started focusing properly on those signs. It was a really weird behavior and it seemed like the lens motor was "cold" in the beginning and after it "warmed" up then it started focusing the normal way and it would not do that slight and quick back and forth hunting, meaning it would lock on focus right away. That was really weird and I haven't seen anything like that in any other lens. The lens was darn bloody smooth with no sound and I liked that a lot, but the "initial" performance I found very very poor, and odd.

Have any of you that own this lens seen this behavior before? Was this lens at the store bad? I did check and the camera read the latest firmware 1.02 so I don't think the firmware had anything to do with it.

I am kind of disappointed to see this kind of performance from this expensive lens but like I said, maybe that copy is bad.

Right now I'm looking at this lens, the 56mm 1.2 and even the more less expensive 50mm F2.

Many months ago I had a bad experience with the poor AF from the 56mm 1.2 on the XT1 but I'm wondering if the 56mm performs like a completely new fast lens on the XH1.

The reason why I'm thinking of the less expensive 50mm F2 is well, the low price, but I'm not sure I will be happy with the bokeh. Currently I have no great bokeh Fuji lenses and I want one that will please me.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow