Micro Adjust

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lbick Regular Member • Posts: 158
Micro Adjust

Apparently, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I've been with Sony A-mount since it was Minolta and have worked my way up through a number of camera bodies to my current a77ii, plus a variety of lenses. I've experimented a little with the Micro Focus Adjust (henceforth MFA), but didn't know what I was doing. In addition, I assumed the differences between MFA'd and Not were negligible.

This month's Nature Photographer has an article by John Gerlach that walks the uninitiated through his steps for MFA (using Canon, but the steps are the same). Today I took the plunge and MFA'd four lenses. I was astonished at the difference between +20 and 0 and -20. Negligible differences? No way! Each lens went from ridiculously blurry to razor sharp as I homed in on the best setting.

If you're like me and have yet to delve into MFA, I urge you to get a copy of the magazine, read the article, and get to work. No tools necessary. Most of my lenses were within 5 steps of 0 (default), but one was off by over 15 steps! No wonder it never came out of the bag!

-- hide signature --
 lbick's gear list:lbick's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow