Need Advice On Recommendation For New Kit

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
fuesting Regular Member • Posts: 240
Need Advice On Recommendation For New Kit

A friends father's D50 has given up the ghost.  I believe he has a left-over 18-55mm kit lens, but it's widely considering "not good" by him.

He would like to refresh his camera and lens.  On the surface this seems taylor made for a CostCo Nikon kit or whatever is the latest, best kit to get.  I'd like to steer him towards a different solution.  I've always thought you should spend way more on your lenses than your body.  With that being said, he would like to stay under $1000 total, so it's a tough one to recommend for.  I'm not very familiar with Nikon gear, so I thought I would ask those that know.

My initial leanings are a entry-to-mid level DX sensor body with a third-party stabilized, well-regarded zoom.  Something that would cover the 18-55mm approximately but provide better output and perhaps a constant aperture or lower aperture.

He might be open to a used lens, but most likely a new body.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nikon D50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow