Photo Paper & Camera Ratio - It Really Is Personal Preference

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Mrdavie
Mrdavie Forum Member • Posts: 51
Photo Paper & Camera Ratio - It Really Is Personal Preference

In the Micro Four Thirds Talk forum there is a discussion of print ratio versus camera ratio. Most of the discussion focuses on cropping and cutting mats for prints, and whether a black mat is more flexible than white one for images. I realized at that point photography is definitely a personal endeavor.

I am trying to establish a base mode of operation for printing photos. I am just starting to print images, so the basic "M.O" is evolving. I crop many of my photos but I stay true to the camera ratio (4:3) by keeping it locked in Lightroom. That's no different than using a prime lens and being forced to shoot at the designed focal length. That's discipline.

Now when it comes to printing, I started off by trimming letter size photo paper into 5x7 sheets to establish a "proof size". I bought an Epson SC-400 printer and discovered that 5x7 is not a standard size in the driver. I had to create a custom size. No big deal, but from here forward, for "proofs", I will cut letter size photo paper in half and just have one margin wider than the others. The computer monitor will not be the end of the journey for my photos. Finally, for larger prints, I understood from the forum discussion referenced above that letter size printing paper with a half-inch border is the exact same ratio as a micro four third camera.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow