suggestions for shooting small birds in heavy brush?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sunjester Contributing Member • Posts: 874
suggestions for shooting small birds in heavy brush?

Went out to shoot first of the year warblers. Found the warblers and a fair number of them nice and close too.

Problem was acquiring focus fast enough and accurately enough to get the shots. Warblers are fidgety and difficult to keep track of, but I had enough light to use my G85 and the 100-400.

It was so difficult just to get focus that I walked the mile back out of the woods and got my Nikon and 200-500, walked back in to get my shots.

So has anyone found a way to focus fast enough for this type of situation?

I tried single point and got a few shots when the birds settled down a lot but that happened so rarely and focus was so slow as to be laughable. Also tried small focus square and mostly caught branches. I would say my Nikon was 10 times better at a minimum.

-- hide signature --

Equivalence is a fascinating explanation why 10% oxygen is the same as 21% oxygen if only you lived on Proxima Centauri b.

sunjester's gear list:sunjester's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic G85 Nikon D7500 Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +10 more
Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow