Spot focusing has its problems

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brisn5757 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,302
Spot focusing has its problems

I have been using spot focusing for a while where anything in the center of the cameras view is always in focus.

I found out recently that this is not always the best option to choose for auto focusing. I was video recording at a wedding (but not the main photographer) and due to a disability of the bride the couple were seated in front of the minster. I didn't notice that the couple were slightly out of focus due to the small cameras screen. I had positioned the camera so that the bride was on one side and the groom was on the other. The problem was that the only thing in the middle for the camera to focus on was the curtains in the background. Lucky for me that I was not recording this scene continuously but panned the camera to other parts during the service and also had a close-up of the groom and then the  bride which were in focus.

Being a video recording I let the camera decide on the shutter speed and aperture.  If I was taking photos then I might have used a smaller aperture (eg f16) that would have brought more things into focus.

Maybe an 49 area or some other focus setting would have been better.
The video was recorded on a Panasonic G7 camera using 14-140mm lens.

Brian

Brisn5757's gear list:Brisn5757's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 300D +8 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow