Help! Still some disappointing results with the Panasonic G9 and Pana-Leica 100-400mm

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chizuka
Chizuka Regular Member • Posts: 292
Help! Still some disappointing results with the Panasonic G9 and Pana-Leica 100-400mm

Hi, 3 months ago a posted a thread about the G9 and the PL 100-400 and the disappointing results I was getting. I have had few opportunities to try out the lens in the last few months and although I did get some good results with close birds in trees, there are still a lot of disappointing pictures where the feathers have no details.

I have followed the advice that some of you gave me i.e. no UV filter, turn off IS when shooting at 1/1000 +, using the single point for focus (when appropriate), turned way down the noise reduction, but still, the bird pictures lack details and I am a little discourages. Is there anything you see that I am doing wrong? Is it me? the lens? the camera? or all three?

I am enclosing some untouched jpeg to show what I am talking about.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Seagulls w fish: Lack of details on feathers and around the eye. Why?

Seagulls: Is this as good as it get?

Common Merganser: Is the problem the shutter speed 1/1250 sec?

Red Wing Black Bird: lack of details in the red wings.

Cedar Waxwing: Is the bird too small to expect more details?

Mallard: look at the smudges on his feathers. Is the shutter speed too slow? or ?

-- hide signature --

“Make visible what, without you, might perhaps never have been seen.” -
Robert Bresson.
https://500px.com/blue_iris
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chizuka/

Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SGA
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow