My A7RIII Water Sealing Fix

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bobabend
bobabend Senior Member • Posts: 1,125
My A7RIII Water Sealing Fix

As has been shown by the Imaging Resource "Water Torture Test", the A7RIII did not fare well compared to other brands with water intrusion that bricked the camera. Lens Rentals went further and found there was no sealing on the rectangular bottom panel on the A7RIII body. As I have stated on other threads, water intrusion is deadly since it can and does cause degradation to electronics in the form of immediate and/or latent defects. Even high humidity can degrade an unsealed camera and I live a couple of hundred feet from the Atlantic Ocean in a salt air environment.

I am not very familiar with the A9 and A7III, but they appear to have a camera body bottom similar, if not the same as the A7RIII, so the fix I applied may also work for those models that I may purchase in the future.

Here is what I did to seal my bottom panel:

1. After a fair amount of searching, I found a compressible gasket material that looked like it might work.

2. I removed the bottom panel attached with 8 tiny Philips head screws.

3. I placed the panel on the gasket material and used a new Exacto blade to carefully cut the gasket to the outline of the panel.

4. I punctured the gasket material at the screw attach points.

5. I reattached the panel over the gasket with the 8 screws.

Photos detailing my fix are below:

Bottom Panel Removed From Camera

Gasket in Place on Camera Bottom

Panel Screwed in Place Over Gasket

I am just passing on my approach without any form of recommendations for others. One concern I have is that the gasket could act as an insulator and cause overheating, although I doubt that will be a problem, if overheating does result, I will simply cut out the center area of the gasket to regain heat dissipation.

If there is interest, I may put together a more exacting set of the steps that I followed. I welcome any critique of my approach or suggestions for improvement but I will not engage in arguments regarding the benefits of plastic bags and such.

I don't have the time or interest, but some enterprising entity may want to produce the gasket as a product . . . I'll bet they would sell a few.

I have seen it said that the battery compartment cover on the A7RIII does not have a gasket. It does appear to have a gasket on my camera.

It is possible I have overlooked a detrimental impact of the change to my camera and  again, I am not recommending anyone use the above fix and if you choose to do so, it is at your own risk. If there is interest in more details, pleas PM me.

-- hide signature --

I enjoy constructive discussions & only respond to civil, & respectful posts.

bobabend's gear list:bobabend's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow