Astrophotography with G9

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
un hombre New Member • Posts: 20
Astrophotography with G9

Hi all,

According to this site, 600/500/400 rule is not really a good starting point for all sensors because of their physical sizes, pixel density and because star trailing takes different time for different sensors: https://starcircleacademy.com/2012/06/600-rule/

So I did all the calculations from the site for my G9 sensor and 15mm PL 1.7 and it seems that it takes 1.5 seconds for a star to shift from one pixel to another and start star trailing on Panasonic G9 and 15mm lens:

Panasonic G9 sensor – 17.3mm x 13mm, resolution 5184 x 3888

t = 0.00333/(30mm/13750) where 30 is ff equivalent.

If I want decently sharph photos I should probably allow for 3pix star trailing tops and this means around 5 seconds of exposure max... And that is what I did and I can confirm that with pixel peeping on my phone - so imagine what would happen if one applied 500 rule and allowed for 10-15 seconds long exposure.

Anyway, I am currently on Tenerife and I went to see El teide and did some astrophotography. I had completely clear skies and beautiful milky way but because I allowed myself only for 5 seconds tops exposure (I will do image stacking anyway so I made lots of photos) I had to bump up iso to 3200-6400.

I cannot judge the photos on the small screen of my telephone so I am attaching examples here for you to have a look if you are curious.

Here are raw files with jpeg from camera:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubtmrtbxfxs0jzm/teide.zip?dl=0

If anyone has time, can you see how much quality image you can get from post processing?

un hombre's gear list:un hombre's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow