How well does Nikon check refurbs?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SkySpades Regular Member • Posts: 133
How well does Nikon check refurbs?

I doubt anyone here has inside info as to how well Nikon checks refurbs when they come back in and before they are shipped out again, but I'll ask anyways...

Last week I purchased a refurb 200-500 from an authorized retailer. The lens arrived in an undamaged shipping box and undamaged brown Nikon refurb box (same box I have received many refurbs in) with no sign of the box having been opened. Unfortunately after opening the factory refurb box, it was apparent the lens had been heavily abused and was either dropped a significant distance or thrown against a hard object. The barrel was cracked in many places, it had deep scuffs, and the hood was cracked in half.

All that said, aren't refurbs supposed to be checked thoroughly and refurbished to factory specs? I know by factory specs they mean performance-wise as some refurbs may have minor cosmetic wear and tear, but this was a bit excessive 

Anyway, I'm not upset as the retailer is taking the lens back, but I'm curious about the refurb process. It's obvious someone along the way dropped the ball (and lens).

SkySpades's gear list:SkySpades's gear list
Nikon D750 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D500 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow