KP with FA35-80mm lens

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 1,283
KP with FA35-80mm lens

https://lawrencehelm.smugmug.com/RiverPhotography/Apr-2018/i-vnt8nPM/A

I threw my lower back out a bit yesterday and so decided to "go light" this morning. I liked the idea of the FA35-80mm on the K1. The lens weighs 5.6 ounces; so if one can get decent results, the FA35-80 and the K1 would be a lighter combination than many APS-C camera and lens combinations.

Since this was only my third outing with the KP, I was more doubtful of the camera than of the lens, which performed fairly well with the K1 on an earlier outing, and, I believed performed well this morning, but you can judge that for yourself if you like.

The "problem" I've had with the KP is that every so often the shutter when press half way would neither produce the LED information in the OVF or allow me to press it all the way down to take a photo.

I misspoke in the earlier thread about using the F35-135mm on my second KP hike.  It was actually the DA16-45.  I used the DA16-85 on the first hike and the DA16-45 on the second hike and had this problem on those two outings. What I did to get the LED information back and allow me to continue to take photos was to release the lens from the camera and then reconnect it.

This morning though, when I seemed to be having that same problem, I continued to fiddle with finding half-way on the shutter.  I would find it and then there would be a momentary pause; so I would search and find it again.  Finally after a second or two I would find the right spot, read the LED information, make some changes, and snap a photo. My impression was that the KP was under-powered and struggling with the lens's screw drive.  The more powerful K1 had no problem with it on a previous outing.

Even when I can see the LED info in the viewfinder, it isn't as clear to me as the information in the K1.  I noticed later on that I should have changed the shutter speed on a few shots to a faster speed.  I attribute that error to not seeing the info in the viewfinder clearly.

Is there something wrong with my KP or is it just me -- don't know, but if I continue to have this experience, I'll be less and less inclined to use this camera.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-600 Olympus E-5 +77 more
Pentax K-1 Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow