Memory Card Error on A7iii

Started Apr 23, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rclatter Regular Member • Posts: 241
Memory Card Error on A7iii

Curious if anyone else has run into this.

Was shooting with the A7iii all weekend. Near the end of one set of around 50 photos at a promo photo op, the camera showed a message saying the card had an error and asking if I wanted to recover. The recover option failed so I turned it off and on, same thing. Then I tried removing and reinserting the card and the camera said there was no card installed. I then tried slot 2, same thing - no card detected. I went back to my room and put that card in a PC and everything looked fine - copied all the photos to the PC.

Tried the card again in camera and it said no SD Card present. So I tried a different SD card and that one seemed to be fine. Later in the evening I put the first card back in the PC thinking maybe it had been close to full, but it still had ~60GB free space. I then put it back in the camera and it's been fine since. This was a new SD card purchased 2 weeks ago and only ever used in the A7iii starting April 10th. Originally formatted in camera.

At this point I'm not sure if it's more likely that there's a potential issue with the card or with the camera. But I'm leaning towards thinking it's a card error. I was hoping to be able to run single card in non-critical shooting, but thinking now I may need to always run dual-card just in case, or at least always have a backup card with me.

Has anyone else run into an issue like this on the A7-series cameras? I searched this forum and the web in general and see lots of people who had corrupted cards where the database had to be rebuilt, but nothing that matches up to what I experienced with it.

Any input is appreciated.

And for the record, I LOVE the camera and have already sold off all of my Olympus gear and plan to move to Sony as a single system after a few weddings next month where I still need the glass I have on my D750.

Thanks!

rclatter's gear list:rclatter's gear list
Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow