Struggling with AF for sports shooting - Sony A7iii

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Matt Pitts
Matt Pitts Junior Member • Posts: 40
Struggling with AF for sports shooting - Sony A7iii

Hi Guys,

I have recently picked up the Sony A7iii as a second body to my Canon.  I have watched various videos on setting up the camera for action, so I had it set on AFC and other setting based on Mark Galer's videos for action shooting

am new to Sony and normally shoot Canon.  I did a little shooting yesterday at the London Marathon and had  a few issues.  I'm sure it's not knowing the system as well as the Canons.

I found it pretty hard to see where the focus point is during actual use until they lightup, which was very frustrating. So ended up keeping the focus point in the centre of the EVF.

Also I found that the camera seemed to back focus more than I was expecting so I ended up missed a few critical shoots.  So I put it away and went back to using the Canon!

I found there is quite a lag when switching on the camera and waking it from sleep, which means if your not careful its easy to miss a shoot while the camera is still waking up!!

I'm also surprised now small the EVF seems when compared to the DSLR and the Fuji XT-2 that I have used.

I had the AF set to expanded spot lock-on.  But found it hard with so many people running the camera kept on locking on to the wrong runners despite me trying to start focusing on the runner from the centre of the EFV where the focus point was.

I wasn't using a sports lens, as I haven't decided which yet, so I was using the Sony 55mm 1.8, just to test.  This obviously meant I had many people in the frame.  Most of the videos of the focus demos on line are just tracking a single subject. which works great.  But in most real world situations there is almost always more thank one person in the frame, unless your very lucky.

Anyway I have another outdoor cycling event coming up at the weekend and would like to do some more testing.  But it will be similar and there will be lots of people all coming towards the camera, so I want to try and nail the best focus setting and lens combo to test before then.

I'm considering hiring either the 24-70 F2.8 or the 24-105 F4

I would appreciate some advice on the above from Sony users.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow