JPEG engine bug?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
a l b e r t Senior Member • Posts: 1,609
JPEG engine bug?

I just came back from a short trip in Guangzhou with my X-H1 and the 2nd copy of the XF 16-55 f/2.8 lens.

This 2nd copy of the lens is way sharper than my first copy when the aperture is stopped down.  But I wasn't prepared for the differences in clarity and sharpness when the images are processed in RAW.  It is as if something is wrong with the lens by looking at the OOC JPEG.  I can see that why some people said the lens is about as sharp as the XF 18-55 kit lens.

Or maybe the 16-55 has incorrect lens data causing the JPEG engine to incorrectly correcting the pincushion distortion.  Here is one sample showing the massive differences:

OOC JPEG

JPEG processed by Iridient Developer using default setting (no additional sharpening)

Just look at the tree leaves on the left and the right at 100% magnification.  And the tiles on the library.  Huge difference!  The OOC JPEG would make you think it is shot with a kit lens.

I've gone and looked at images taken with X-T2 and the 16 f/1.4.  OOC JPEG and JPEG processed with Iridient are about the same, with the Iridient one slightly sharper.  It is not with this massive difference on the 16-55 f/2.8.

I think there is a bug somewhere - perhaps Fuji need to update whatever lens correction data embedded in this particular lens.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7 III +12 more
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow