D850, WiFi, and Snapbridge

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DaveChapin New Member • Posts: 8
D850, WiFi, and Snapbridge

I'm considering upgrading my D800 to a D850. One reason among many is the ability to use GPS and timestamps from my iPhone. But the ability to continuously have images fly off the camera wirelessly (even if they are just 2mp versions) also would be fantastic.

Anyway, I have read and watched the pairing instructions for the process. The Bluetooth bit makes sense but the WiFi part has me confused.

The videos show a user selecting the Nikon as a WiFi connection point from the phone via iOS's Network Settings. This DOES make sense if one wants to use WiFi to transfer data between the phone and the camera. But if a phone is connected this way to a camera, how can the phone use WiFi to connect to the Internet?

I assume it CAN'T connect to the Internet when using WiFi like this and one has to rely on a Cellular connection for this purpose. Is that correct?

DaveChapin's gear list:DaveChapin's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +4 more
Nikon D800 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow