Help deciding on a Nikon DSLR body

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JustBob Contributing Member • Posts: 520
Help deciding on a Nikon DSLR body

I have owned Canon digital bodies going back to the original 30d. And Leica and Fuji. Like others, I moved to a light weight system, in my case Olympus.  (all other systems have been sold now.)

This summer I'm getting a boat and am considering something like a D5 or 850 to stay on the boat.  I live near Seattle so I'm talking about shooting in WA, B.C. and Alaska. Since I don't plan to travel with the camera other than on the boat, I'm not so concerned about weight.

I'm drawn to the Nikon side because of the reputation of the AF system. There are a lot of opportunities with wildlife, and several of them require super fast focus. Like whales, bald eagles and the like. I also like the high ISO capability.

None of this will be on tripod. One of my friends with a 850 remarked how important stability is due to high MP sensor. Of course, more MP are generally good. Although I don't imagine printing more than say 20x30. I plan to go FF in any case.

So given that this shooting is more like sports, than say traditional landscape, would I end up with better results with the 5D than an 850? Cost not an issue.

All recommendations appreciated and welcome.

Canon EOS 30D Nikon D5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow