A Day in the Bay with the Lowly EM1.1

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bristolero
Bristolero Junior Member • Posts: 49
A Day in the Bay with the Lowly EM1.1

Yesterday morning I set off on a small paddle with the kayaks around the bay we live in. I almost took no camera, but decided that despite the overcast day, I could probably get some kayaking shots of my sister and her friends. Since wildlife photography was off the menu, I left the 300 Pro in the cupboard and stuck on my old Oly 75-300 v.1, a reasonable lens for close to medium shots. Upon our journey, I soon spied an eagle perched on a tall rock, eating some sort of sea creature.

The bird launched off the rock

and sped towards me, carrying his meal off to another nearby location.

In the last shot, he is swerving off into the trees.

When shooting from a kayak, I don't often get a series of head-on shots since I would almost have to lay over on my back to keep the bird in the frame. I was pretty pleased with these.
We headed across the bay towards the other side. In the distance, I spied a flock Surf Scoters intermixed with a couple of Harlequins. I've never got any really good pics of either--Harlequins are spooky and Surf Scoters are not too common around here. I thought I'd try again and managed to get one mediocre shot.

I'd heard eagles nearby but ignored them, concentrating on these other birds, but a shout from my sis brought my attention to a nearby outcropping and the activity taking place.

I think the male was pretty proud of himself.

Things soon calmed down and eventually the pair flew off for other parts.

I have never photographed this before and felt fortunate to have finally been in the right place. Later that day, my wife saw the male (she thinks) crashing through the trees and ripping out a branch, which he clutched in his talons, landed in another branch, stuck the branch in his beak and flew off to the female with his addition to their nest.
When I shoved off the beach in the morning, I couldn't have imagined all the opportunities I was to have. If I had, you can bet I would have brought the 300 Pro! In the end, I'm just glad I brought something, and it proves the old adage that the best camera is one you have along.

Thanks and I hope you enjoyed,
Eric

Bristolero's gear list:Bristolero's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow