E-M1 and some lenses on "Path of the Gods"

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 25,861
E-M1 and some lenses on "Path of the Gods"

While in Naples (Italy) and the surrounding area a month ago, we devoted almost a full day to a very satisfying hike.

It is called "The Path of the Gods" (Sentiero degli Dei), and that name is not unjustified.

The path is a hiking trail on a short stretch of the south side of the peninsula on which Amalfi and Positano are situated (Sorrento is on the north side). The island Capri is cut off from the main land, just at the end of this peninsula. The main bulk of the peninsula is formed by the Monti Lattari, and towards the end of it, there are some lower parts of this mountain range. Geologically, Capri must be a part of that range.

The classic "Sentiero degli Dei" is a fairly level hike, because normally you would start the hike at already a respectable altitude, in the small village of Bomerano, and then you follow the edge of the mesa-like cliffs towards Nocelle. From there, you can continue on to Montepertuso (still at an altitude).

http://www.positano.com/en/e/il-sentiero-degli-dei

We decided to approach this slightly differently and add a bit of an altitude challenge, by starting at sea level in the village of Praiano, climbing past the Convento di San Domenico (where we had a quick refreshment), to join the actual "Sentiero" above that monastery.  From there, we followed the Sentiero, and after Nocelle, we descended towards Positano.

It's a superb hike with some spectacular views (both in front and behind), looking along the stretch of the peninsula towards Capri.

All my selected images from that hike (and much more in and around Bella Napoli) are in a recent gallery : http://roelh.zenfolio.com/p330732081

Feel free to take a look. C&C always welcome.

All images in that gallery are with E-M1 and assorted lenses, and also a bit of LX100 images.  For the hike, my E-M1 with 12-40 and 40-150 were the main tools.

Here are some samples (I'll limit this to the Sentiero Degli Dei):

We hitched a ride with a lovely old gentleman by the name of Luca, in his ancient Renault R4, from Positano to Praiano, because the local public bus had just left before we could buy tickets.  Very nice old man.  Grazie Luca!

Just arrived at Convento di San Domenico and looking down on Praiano.

More steep little paths bring us high above the Convento

From that point, the view towards the end of the peninsula, is pretty spectacular.

That's the love of my life there, walking towards the edge for the next meander of the path.

The path hugs the edge of the hills where a rocky outcrop reaches for the sky.

The church of Nocelle invites the hiker.

A view on Positano, while in descent from Nocelle (mostly stairs, so that goes quite rapidly).

Having arrived on the coastal road, there is still a bit of walking to do towards Positano.   For a next time, I would probably advise to take the alternative route via Montepertuso ("Hole in the Rock"), for more hiking on altitude and a descent that brings the hiker almost right into Positano.

Thanks for looking.

As always, comments are welcome.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow