Switching from AMD to Intel questions.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeff Peterman
Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,793
Switching from AMD to Intel questions.

I've been building my own PCs for over 20 years, typically replacing motherboard/processor/memory every 3 years. Improvements in hardware slowed way down about 10 years ago, and the motherboard/processor/memory combination in my current PC is at least 6 years old. It is not practical to increase the memory on this above 8 GB, and I want at least 12 for Lightroom, so it is time to upgrade (even though what was top of the line 6 years ago is still pretty quick today).

Before I do, I have some question:

1. If I replace my ancient AMD-based motherboard with one based around a new Coffee Lake i7 and new memory, and connect my old boot drive to the new PC, will Windows boot and load the appropriate drivers or will it just give a BSOD? I know that in the old days the kernel created with the Windows installation only supported similar processors.

2. Can I use a PCI-e video card from my AMD system in a new Intel system, or do the video chip sets have to match the motherboard/processor in some way?

3. I don't play graphic-intensive games, so any recommendations on a decent, but not too expensive, video board (assuming one is needed) for a Coffee Lake i7 motherboard?

4. Any recommendations on motherboards: I want one with at least 4, preferably 6, SATA connectors and at least one USB-C connector.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow