Switching from AMD to Intel questions.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Jeff Peterman
Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,763
Switching from AMD to Intel questions.

I've been building my own PCs for over 20 years, typically replacing motherboard/processor/memory every 3 years. Improvements in hardware slowed way down about 10 years ago, and the motherboard/processor/memory combination in my current PC is at least 6 years old. It is not practical to increase the memory on this above 8 GB, and I want at least 12 for Lightroom, so it is time to upgrade (even though what was top of the line 6 years ago is still pretty quick today).

Before I do, I have some question:

1. If I replace my ancient AMD-based motherboard with one based around a new Coffee Lake i7 and new memory, and connect my old boot drive to the new PC, will Windows boot and load the appropriate drivers or will it just give a BSOD? I know that in the old days the kernel created with the Windows installation only supported similar processors.

2. Can I use a PCI-e video card from my AMD system in a new Intel system, or do the video chip sets have to match the motherboard/processor in some way?

3. I don't play graphic-intensive games, so any recommendations on a decent, but not too expensive, video board (assuming one is needed) for a Coffee Lake i7 motherboard?

4. Any recommendations on motherboards: I want one with at least 4, preferably 6, SATA connectors and at least one USB-C connector.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow