Vivitar 19/3.8 Information

Started Apr 21, 2018 | Discussions thread
darg Contributing Member • Posts: 504
Re: Vivitar 19/3.8 Information

Alan WF wrote:

It is a cute little lens, isn't it. Unfortunately, it's really not better than a kit zoom on APS-C (whcih is basically what you're seeing as MFT + focal reducer).

Yes, I read your very useful review before buying. Thank you. I'll not be too bothered if it really is only as good as a kit zoom; I'm mainly looking for a nice MF experience, and plenty of excellent photos are taken with kit zooms.

Lightness and compactness is important for me. The Vivitar 19/3.5 is about 180 g, and most of the competition is at 300 g or more. The only other similarly light lens I could find is the OM 21mm f/3.5, but it's not as wide, is considerably more expensive, and would be more painful to adapt to my FD-MFT focal reducer.

So, I figured I'd see if the Vivitar 19/3.8 was adequate for my needs first. If is not good enough, I might end up with the Tamron 17/3.5 at 270 g.

Regards,

Alan

I tried it on FF but vignetting is pretty strong so it ended up on mft as a step between my native 17/1.8 and a 24/2.8 Tokina. It’s really a great little lense. Mine has some wobble in the focus that I can’t fix buts it’s ok. Couldn’t find any instruction how to get to the focus mechanism in the front but haven’t really tried it yet. Cleaned only the rear elements up and fixed a stuck aperture clickball

-- hide signature --

When in doubt, C4
KJ6EPH

darg's gear list:darg's gear list
Canon PowerShot A80 Olympus E-500 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a7 II +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow