Printing and the Dreaded Aspect Ratio

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
morelens Junior Member • Posts: 30
Printing and the Dreaded Aspect Ratio

Im sure some of you will have fun at my expense, but why not? Im trying to figure out the best way to print, mat and frame some of my photos. I actually prefer to shoot in 16:9 but for print that is very difficult so lets talk about 3:2. 3:2 is basically a perfect 4 x6 print. Go to 5 x7 and you lose a little photo, go to 8x10 and you need to crop even more. This appears to only get worse as you go larger. So im composing my shot in 3:2, the photo papers most available are 8 x10, 8.5 x 11, etc.  Standard matted frames are 8 x 10, 11 x 14. First of all 8 x10 is not a good choice for landscapes and if you do choose it, you need to crop a good portion from your photo. Is there a better solution for all this madness? I read one article where the guy actually suggests allowing more space on the sides when taking the photo. So now you cant even compose the shot correctly to end up with a good print?

morelens's gear list:morelens's gear list
Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6
Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow