Options for wildlife photography

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DiverMark New Member • Posts: 14
Options for wildlife photography

Hello All,

I have an Sony a65 with the 18-135 kit lens, Sigma 8-16, Tamron 60 & 90mm macros, and the Sigma 18-35 (which I love).  I use the a65 for underwater photography (with the 8-16 and the 60mm macro), and the added cost of the housing has kept me from upgrading the body until now.  My primary interest is in underwater, and travel photography.  With modern carry-on limits on planes, small and light are important.  I am strictly an enthusiast, not a professional.

In a little over a month, I have a 3-week trip to Alaska planned (1-week cruise and 2 weeks in an RV), so I need a telephoto lens.  Several years ago, I rented the Tamron 200-500 for a trip to Galapagos, and while I loved the reach, I didn't love the size and weight so much.  I think one of the Sigma or Tamron 100-400 zooms would be ideal, but since they have both abandoned A-mount, they are not a consideration.

One option I'm seriously considering is buying an RX10 IV.  Its size and versatility are appealing to me.  The two things that have me worried are its low-light performance, and because it is an all-in-one, if I want to replace/upgrade the body, I have to get a new lens too.

Another option is to make the jump to mirror-less, and play the adapter game, but I've been reading mixed reviews on how well the adapters really work.

So, I need some advice.  Should I:

• Rent the Tamron 150-600 G2
  • Buy the Tamron 150-600 G2 because I will love it so much
  • Buy the Tamron 150-600 G1 because they are going for such a good price right now
  • Buy the Sony RX10 IV
  • Buy one of the Sony mirror-less and get an adapter for my existing lenses and a Sigma or Tamron 100-400
  • Abandon Sony for another make that has modern lenses made for it
  • Something I haven't considered, but should

I will appreciate any and all advice you can give me.  I've done a lot of reading on dpreview prior to posting this question, but if you know of a good thread that already addresses this question, I would welcome a pointer.

Thanks in advance!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony RX10 IV Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow