Old FZ200 way sharper than new FZ300 - Any reason why?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
geepondy Senior Member • Posts: 1,956
Old FZ200 way sharper than new FZ300 - Any reason why?

I just purchased a new FZ300 and was comparing image quality with FZ200.  I shot multiple shots of the same subject at full zoom, hand held with both cameras.  The image sharpness varied slightly between the different shots of the same subject, I assume due to camera shake but in almost every case, the FZ200 was sharper than the FZ300, quite noticeably so in many cases.  I then turned off the IS for both cameras, set them on the windowsill and took three shots each of the building across the lot.  This time the sharpness was more consistent between the three samples of each camera and all three of the FZ200 images were noticeably sharper than the FZ300 images.  I'll post one from each camera.  Can you tell me if there is something int he camera setup that would cause the difference?  I think the focus point was very close (single point center) to being the same for both cameras.  Both were the raw images, processed equally in DXO Photo Lab

First time purchase from Adorama, I really do hope they have a good return policy.  I hemmed haw between them and Amazon but Adorama gave a better deal with the accessories.  Amazon though is hassle free on the returns.

FZ200

FZ300

geepondy's gear list:geepondy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G7 X II
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow