Do I really need the K1 Mark II upgrade?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 1,447
Do I really need the K1 Mark II upgrade?

https://www.pentaxuser.com/review/pentax-k-1-mark-ii-review-1365

This is a favorable review of the K1 Mark ii, but then the reviewer liked the Mark 1 just about as well. In the Verdict section of the review, he writes, "If you already have the K-1, then it's a bit more difficult to justify the upgrade. If you are happy with the performance and features of the K-1, then the Mark II will give you slightly improved image quality, along with a few new features, but perhaps not enough to justify the upgrade."

I couldn't really see the improvement in the images the reviewer posts, so perhaps the image quality improvement is extremely slight, but my eyesight is not great so I need a second opinion.

I am still leaning "slightly" toward getting the upgrade even if I don't need it.  I can imagine a future time when firmware updates are released for the Mark II that won't be applicable to the Mark I; so it could happen that the distance between the Mark II and Mark 1 would increase with time.

The same sort of thing was said when the K3 Mark II came out.  That is, if you didn't need the specific "improvements," and I didn't, then getting the K3 Mk II wasn't really justified.  But I got the Mark II anyway.  I liked the Mark I so much I wanted a backup.  I have both the K3 and K3ii still, and haven't for a moment regretted having both of them, but the "upgrade" offer puts the K1 in a different category.  I do like the K1 a lot, It is currently my favorite camera.  Maybe there is a slight benefit to having the upgrade, but what about the shipping risk, putting my K1 at risk during shipping, handling, the mod at Precision, as well as the return for a "slightly improved image quality" that I can't really see seems a bit foolhardy after reading the above review.  I'm sure others are thinking about these matters.  What are some other opinions?

Alex, buck me up!

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-600 Olympus E-5 +81 more
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow