Fill flash for action shots with D600? Advice?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 13,979
Fill flash for action shots with D600? Advice?

If I want a fill flash for a controlled action shot in daylight, how would I do?
What I would like to is to shot with my 70-200 2.8 at wide aperture for isolating the subject, ideally between 2.8 and 4 at a a focal length of around 150-200 mm.

The sync speed of my camera (D600) is 1/200s – big risk of motion blur. I have tried to read up on the subject and found some info on Auto FP High Speed Flash Sync Mode which should allow faster shutter speeds.

I am mainly an available light shooter and dont have any deep flash knowledge, except for the basics. I had a powerful Metz CT45 long time ago, but with digital I only had the little SB400. For the moment I have no flash, but am about to get one.

So I wonder: if anyone has experience of this scenario and have any advice of which flash to get?
Would a SB700 do the job? a SB500? Or is more power required?

Third party options if I dont want to buy the top of the line but expensive SB5000?

Thanks for any help.

/PerL

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow