Lumix GX9 First Impressions

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlexDoro Forum Member • Posts: 58
Lumix GX9 First Impressions

Background:

I am not a professional photographer and do not have experience with wide variety of gear. Photography is my hobby and 90 percent of it is landscape. To give you an idea check my instagram: place_of_adventures. Until recently I owned Nikon D5500 and Sigma 18-35mm. It was a nice combo, IQ is great for my needs. But the weight and size... I hike and travel a lot so decided to get something smaller and got Lumix LX100. Awesome little camera. Loved the manual dials and it was tiny. Could not tell difference in IQ between that and Nikon as long as you don't zoom/crop and don't go above ISO 1600.

After a short while with LX100 I realized I want longer zoom and started looking into ILC again. Was thinking to get GX85 with 12-35mm and 45-150mm or PEN-F with 12-40mm and 45-150mm. PEN-F is beautiful but I use tripod a lot and their screw mount is positioned oddly. Besides that meant getting bigger lens (12-40 vs 12-35) and additional hand grip possibly.

GX9 is a bit better and newer than GX85 and price difference is not that big considering you get 12-60 (~$300 value).

So I went for GX9 and finally got it today (12-60 kit lens for sale). Got 12-35 already. I like the way it feels in my hand, very solid. I liked EVF in LX100 and GX9 has the same which is fine with me. I know most of you think it's horrible compared to others but I have nothing to compare it to, thus I like it. Focus is fast but that doesn't matter to me much. IBIS is awesome which comes in handy when using long zoom. I think it performs very well at ISO 3200, I was surprised.

Not much else to say. It is a camera and it can take gorgeous photos if you know what you doing, as well, it's easy to use. I like it a lot :). BTW does anyone know about LightRoom support?

Here are some samples, all shot raw and converted to JPEG in camera without any color or sharpening addition:

L monochrome D

L monochrome D

AlexDoro's gear list:AlexDoro's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
Nikon D5500 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow