Suitable Macro lens for a Fuji (Small/light adapted)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nirurin Contributing Member • Posts: 877
Suitable Macro lens for a Fuji (Small/light adapted)

Hey, I'll keep this short (for me anyway), but I'm considering picking up a dedicated macro lens. I am currently using a Canon250D close up lens on my 18-55 and 50-230, and it works pretty well, but I suspect I'm losing some quality in the details because I'm using lenses that aren't designed for that kind of work.

Problem I have is a limited budget, and wanting to keep to a smaller/lightweight kit bag. So the 80mm is wayyyyy out, as it's far too big/heavy/expensive.

60mm seems like a good choice, good IQ and it's a small tidy lens. The slower AF doesn't bother me. But it's only 1:2, and I've heard multiple reports of it getting very soft when used with the extension  tubes to get it to 1:1.

So Adapted lenses become an option. But they would require an adapter, which adds to size and weight, and they're mostly FF lenses so also bigger and heavier. Any options out there that would be suitable?

Alternatively, I could just go with 1:2 60mm. Or stick with my current setup of using a close up lens and just cope with the downsides!

ps. I'll add my voice to the millions before me... Fuji need to release a decent midrange macro lens. Olympus have the 60mm macro, Sony have the 50mm macro, both of which are compact, lightweight, and either great or at least good quality. The 80mm Fuji is not a contender at it's ridiculous size and price. Fuji should remake the 60mm into a 1:1 lens. But I don't think it will happen unfortunately.

Nirurin's gear list:Nirurin's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow